Human Cranial Flap Storage will Move to the DeGowin Tissue Bank on 3/31/06
EEffective 3/31/06, human cranial flap tissue storage will be moved to the new Tissue Bank located in the DeGowin Blood Center, C271 GH.
I. Sending cranial flaps for storage:
A. Transport 0700-2300:
1. Call the DeGowin Blood Center (6-3709) and request a transport container be brought to the OR prior to the removal of the cranial flap.
2. Please allow a minimum of 15 minutes for delivery of the transport container.
3. Return the transport container with the cranial flap to the Critical Care Laboratory to be picked up by the DeGowin Blood Center staff.
B. Transport 2300-0700:
1. A member of the surgical team or designee must pick up the transport container from the DeGowin Blood Bank, C271 GH prior to the removal of the cranial flap.
2. Return the transport container with the cranial flap to the DeGowin Blood Center.
II. Requesting cranial flaps for reimplantation:
A. Notify the Tissue Bank of the date for reimplantation via the IPR A-1a order form at least two working days in advance.
B. Cranial flaps needed with less than two working days notice may be obtained by calling the Tissue Bank in the DeGowin Blood Center (6-3709).
1. Transport to OR 0700-2300:
a. Scheduled cases with Tissue Bank notification:
First cases: Cranial flaps will be delivered by DeGowin Blood Center staff to the O.R. area by:
0815 on Monday and Tuesday
0730 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
b. Subsequent cases: The surgical team must notify the DeGowin Blood Center by phone (6-3709) that they are ready for the tissue. It will be delivered by DeGowin Blood Center staff.
c. Please allow a minimum of 15 minutes for delivery of tissue.
2. Transport 2300-0700:
A member of the surgical team or designee must pick up the tissue from the DeGowin Blood Bank, C271 GH.
3. Return of tissue containers:
Return tissue containers and enclosed paperwork to the Critical Care Laboratory to be picked up by the DeGowin Blood Center Staff.
Contact Beth Alden, BA, MT(ASCP), Tissue Bank Coordinator (6-3709) or Annette Schlueter, MD, PhD, Tissue Bank Medical Director (6-0370) with concerns or questions.