- Requisition Requirements for VAMC Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics Laboratory
The Iowa Regional Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Laboratory needs your assistance to improve compliance with required content on requisitions. In order to comply with regulations by our accrediting agencies [College of American Pathologists (CAP) and the American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI)], the following data elements must be recorded on the requisition:
1) Patient Name
2) Patient Hospital Number (if applicable)
3) Ordering physician
4) Specimen Type (blood, bone marrow, buccal swab, lymph node, spleen, etc.)
5) Date of specimen collection
6) Time of specimen collection
7) Phlebotomist (name of person who drew the specimen)
8) Test Requested
Effective immediately, the laboratory will reject specimens that are not labeled appropriately.
Your compliance with these regulations may seem less important than daily clinical duties, but they also ensure the wellbeing of patients. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter and would like to thank you for the long and fruitful collaboration that we have had with you.
Contact Dr. Nancy Goeken 339-7078 or Steve Birney 158-5640 with any questions.