University of Iowa
of Family Medicine
FPInfo: Resources to support patient
Johnson County Crisis Center: 24-hour availability
- Call 319.351.0140 or go to jccrisiscenter.org. At 1121 Gilbert Ct Iowa City,
- Call, test message or chat/instant messaging 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
to talk help with emotions or a crisis.
- Groceries if you need them.
- Referrals for other resources that you need.
- Emergency financial support to avoid losing your housing or utilities.
Mobile Crisis Outreach / Iowa Help Line: 24-hour
- Call or text message 1-855-800-1239.
- Anyone can call, the person who needs help, a medical provider, family or
- The two people team tries to be there within an hour – they can go to the ER,
clinic, home, etc.
- MCO can help with onsite counseling, provide resources to stabilize the
situation, help get connected or other things that are needed.
- MCO also has a crisis apartment that is staffed 24 hours a day and a person
can stay there for up to 5 days when needed. This can be used as many times as
needed. It does not involve insurance or have any cost. The stay is 100%
voluntary and while there they can help you go to appointments or do things that
you need. There is one place that allows pets.
- The crisis apartment with your own room may be a good alternative to staying
at home when it is not safe or a good alternative to being in the hospital when
- Abbe Community Mental Health Center at 1039 Arthur Street Iowa City, IA (by
Towncrest). Phone number 319-338-7884.
- Same day access to meet with a therapist on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Monday and Thursday it is from 9:30-11:30 am.
- Tuesday it is from 1:30-3:30 pm.
- This is first come, first served. Arrive early. Bring a photo ID & insurance
card if you have one.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Veterans’ Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255, +1
Alcoholics Anonymous: 319-338-9111,
Substance Abuse: There is a walk-in appointment at 9 am at UIHC Chemical
Dependency Services Department – Boyd Tower – 5th floor.
Prelude: 319-351-4357, 430 Southgate Avenue Iowa City, IA,
Domestic Violence Intervention Program (DVIP): 319-351-1043,
332 S. Linn, Suite 100 Iowa City, IA
Rape Victim Advocacy Program (RVAP): 24 hours – 800-228-1625,
Child Abuse Hotline: 24 hours, 800-362-2178
Social Support and Activities:www.icflp.org.
Established in 1983.
Free Lunch Program, Monday-Saturday, 12-1, 1105 Gilbert Court,
R Place: A place with
activities, classes, groups, fun, games, arts and crafts, outings and holiday
activities. A peer-led meeting place where peers support peers. A restorative
environment of hope, support and encouragement for recovery. A safe, nurturing,
non-judgmental community for those affected by mental illness. Monday –
Friday, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. 220 Lafayette Street, Suite 180 Iowa City, IA
Top of the Document