Request for Proposals
The Institute is now soliciting proposals for membership in the Pappajohn Biomedical Institute and space in the Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building.
Letters of Intent (one page) are due before June 1, 2013. Letters of Intent will provide the PBI with a preview of the proposals and provide an opportunity for the University, Colleges, Departments and the PBI to assist groups in developing proposals. The Letter of Intent should include a brief statement on informatics plans.
Requests for proposals are due before September 1, 2013.
Proposals should identify a thematic area and investigators. Investigators may be new recruits to the University of Iowa and/or current faculty members.
Criteria for selection
- Problems of fundamental importance to biology and/or disease
- Strategies that will expedite the move from reductionism to complex life systems
- Involvement of investigators from disparate areas of science that will accelerate innovation
- Plans and potential to translate discovery and innovation to people and the market
- Leadership with demonstrated creativity and vision in research and a record of elevating collegues, trainees, and their institution
- Ingenuity and productivity of the investigators
- New recruits to the University of Iowa that are promising, creative people with the desire to tackle important problems
- Investigators from distinct disciplines that can work together to advance the science
- The institute will also consider requests from individual investigators who could bring new research strategies and approaches that could elevate Institute research
- Track records of productive interactions and collaborations with others
- Potential for interactions with other themes in the Institute
- Leadership with a record of generating extramural support
- Potential and plans for new funding and support for research
- Of the mission
- Of the proposal
Proposals will be evaluated by a panel of external advisors
Proposals should include the following information
1. Proposal for a thematic area
There is no required format, but in six pages or less, the proposal should discuss:
- The mission and goals of the research
- Importance of the area and how the group will impact understanding and benefit people
- Innovation of the proposal
- Plans for implementing the research
- Rationale for including specific investigators, including those not located in the Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building
- Expertise and perspective of members of the group
- Opportunities and/or plans to translate to people
- Opportunities and/or plans for translation to industry
- How inclusion in the institute would change the pace of discovery and translation of research
- The potential for new funding and support for research
For the leadership and investigators, including new recruits, please provide the following.
- Curriculum vitae limited to six pages
- Current funding and funding over the last five years
- Proposal for space - thematic area might occupy a portion of a floor or an entire floor in the Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building
Letters of intent must be submitted before June 1, 2013.
Proposals must be submitted before September 1, 2013.
Letters of intent and requests for proposals should be sent to Dr. Michael Welsh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be notified by December 1, 2013. The Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building is on schedule for occupancy in June 2014.