Summer Undergraduate MSTP Research (SUMR) Program
The University of Iowa SUMR Program offers an intensive experience for highly motivated undergraduates interested in future combined MD/PhD training for a career as a physician-scientist. The program provides the opportunity to conduct hands-on intensive research with scientists at The University of Iowa. Participants carry out independent research conducted under the direction of an established mentor in the biomedical sciences. In addition, the program offers weekly seminars emphasizing the intersection of science and medicine, career development seminars, case-based learning sessions and physician-scientist shadowing. Participants gain an appreciation for the role of the physician-scientist in asking pertinent medically related research questions, carrying the results of the work to the patient's bedside. Eligible students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who anticipate graduating with a bachelor’s degree in the biological or physical sciences in the academic year following the summer of planned participation.
- SUMR 2013 Participants
- SUMR Program Calendar of Events
- 8th Annual Summer Undergraduate Research Conference
- Calendar of Events Sponsored by the Biosciences Program
- Driving Directions
- Housing Information
- Life in Iowa City
SUMR Program 2013 Features
- May 28 - August 2, 2013
- 10-week research project conducted in the laboratory of a faculty member in the biomedical sciences.
- Weekly seminar series - a forum for discussions emphasizing how science and medicine intersect
- Case-based learning exercise - discussion of mechanisms underlying disease process
- Career development seminars (e.g. MD/PhD admissions; personal and research statement writing)
- Physician - scientist shadowing experience (2-4 afternoons during the 10-week period)
- Social and mentoring activities with MD/PhD students
- $4,150 for the ten week period
- Lodging in a University housing facility
- Travel allowance for transportation to/from Iowa City
We will begin taking applications for
the 2014 SUMR Program on September 15, 2013.
- A completed online application form (Application period closed)
- A Curriculum Vitae (view sample CV)
- Official transcript(s) from undergraduate institution(s)
- Two letters of recommendation (At least one letter must come from your primary research mentor).
- Apply by February 3, 2014.
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Will graduate from college in the 2013-2014 academic year
- Major in biological or physical science
- Prior research experience
Medical Scientist Training Program
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Phone: (800) 551-6787 or (319) 335-8303
Fax: (319) 335-6634