Funding Opportunities for MSTP students
Current MSTP Students with Independent Funding
Resources for writing a grant from the UI's Division of Sponsored Programs
NIH Funding Resources
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) provide individual predoctoral research training awards to promising MD/PhD candidates with the potential to become productive physician scientists in fields relevant to the mission of the participating NIH Institutes and Centers.
- Students seeking support for both MD and PhD training can apply for:
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral MD/PhD Fellows (F30)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards for Individual Predoctoral Fellowships (F31) to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research
U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or permanent resident of the U.S.
Enrolled in an MD/PhD program at an approved medical school and accepted in a related scientific PhD program
Propose research relevant to the mission of one of the participation NIH Institutes
Finding Other Funding Sources and Opportunities
The University of Iowa Division of Sponsored Programs site has an extensive list of government, corporate, and private entities to which interested parties can submit proposals. The University also subscribes to several databases that are available for use.
Internal nomination competitions, whether they are conducted by individual colleges or through UI WINS, are generally advertised in the Grant Bulletin. The collegiate Associate Deans for Research also distribute news of each competition within their colleges.
The University of Iowa regularly receives invitations to nominate a restricted number of faculty, staff, or students for high profile funding competitions. The UI institutional nomination process determines the best possible applicants for these competitions.
The University of Iowa Vice President for Research offers various internal funding opportunities including equipment cost-sharing programs and Biosciences Initiative start-up funding.
- Office of the Vice President for Research Internal Funding Opportunities
- Biosciences Initiative Start-up Funding Program
University of Iowa Graduate Student Senate Supplemental Travel Award for research related travel (interviews, investigation, archive usage, equipment usage off site)
- GSS Supplemental Travel Award for Research
University of Iowa Professional Advancement Grants are available for students to present and fund original research in addition to offset the cost of professional development travel and participation.
- ECGPS Professional Advancement Grants