Have questions about Iowa MSTP?
- Join us at the upcoming Virtual Grad School Fairs on October 22nd and October 28th.
- Registration for the events is FREE.
- Links to the events above.
Diversity and Inclusion
The University of Iowa MSTP is enriched by the diversity in our student population. Our Program gives full consideration to all applicants for admission and does not discriminate in access to its programs and activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preferences, or any other classification that deprives the person of consideration as an individual. We encourage applications from students from racial or ethic minority groups or disadvantaged backgrounds, from those who have served in the U.S. military, and from those with a disability.
How to apply to the Iowa MSTP program
To Apply to the Iowa Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD) for the 2015 entering class:
- Instruct AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) to forward your AMCAS application to the Iowa College of Medicine (IA 131). You must select the MD/PhD Program type on your AMCAS application. This will allow you to answer 2 questions which will become part of your MSTP application. If you did not select the MD/PhD Program type, when you first submitted your AMCAS application, you may go back to your AMCAS application and make this change (this action will not de-certify your application). AMCAS must be submitted by November 1, 2014.
- Take the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) no earlier than April 2009 and no later than September 18, 2014.
- Submit all College of Medicine secondary materials. Instructions for submitting this information will be forwarded to you once your AMCAS application is received. A supplemental MSTP Application is part of the College of Medicine secondary application. The secondary application fee will be refunded for interviewed applicants.
- See UI Carver College of Medicine secondary application for instructions about letters of recommendation which are submitted to AMCAS.
- Submit all secondary application materials by December 15, 2014 for full consideration. After initial screening of applications is completed, selected candidates will be invited for an on-campus interview at the Program's expense. The admissions process is done on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to complete their applications as early as possible.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Have completed requirements for a bachelor's degree at an accredited academic institution prior to matriculation.
- Meet all admissions requirements of The University of Iowa College of Medicine.
- Have excellent academic credentials, including undergraduate performance in the biological, physical, and mathematical sciences and performance on the MCAT.
- Have productive laboratory experience that demonstrates an aptitude for and commitment to biomedical research.
Note: The Graduate Record Examination is not required.
Trainees receive stipend and tuition support from a National Institutes of Health MSTP training grant to The University of Iowa, supplemented by additional institutional and individual awards. Students in the graduate phase of training receive support from their graduate departments and interdisciplinary programs. The Program office also assists trainees in applying for competitive national awards for outstanding academic and research achievement.
- Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by phone or email. The secondary application fee will be refunded for interviewed applicants.
- Questions should be directed to the MSTP office by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 800-551-6787 (direct line 319-335-8303).
- 2015 Interview Dates
- Information for Admitted Students