Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center
The FOEDRC is governed by a Director who reports to the Dean of the Carver College of Medicine. The Director is advised by an Internal Advisory Committee. An External Advisory Committee, composed of 3-5 individuals from other institutions, will be established as the Center matures. These appointments are all made by the Dean of the Carver College of Medicine. An administrative staff supports the work of the Director and the two Advisory Committees. Finally, fund raising efforts of the Center are supported by the University of Iowa Foundation.
Evan Dale Abel M.D., Ph.D. was appointed Director of the FOEDRC in July 2013. Dr. Abel was recruited from the University of Utah where he directed the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes and oversaw a successful Interdisciplinary Program in Diabetes.
Internal Advisory Committee
- Evan Dale Abel, M.D., Ph.D., Committee Chair, Director, Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center
- Mark E. Anderson, M.D., Ph.D., Professor of Medicine and Physiology, Head, Department of Internal Medicine, Associate Director, Cardiovascular Research Center
- Charles Brenner, Ph.D., Roy J. Carver Chair and Head of Biochemistry
- Daryl K. Granner, M.D., Chair, FOEDRC Internal Advisory Committee, Professor Emeritus, Departments of Internal Medicine and Physiology, Special Consultant to the Dean
- Curt D. Sigmund, Ph.D., Roy J. Carver Chair in Hypertension Research; Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacology
- William I. Sivitz, M.D., Professor and Division Director
- Eva Tsalikian, M.D., Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs, Department of Pediatrics; Director, Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
- Michael J. Welsh, M.D., Professor of Medicine, Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, and Neurosurgery, Roy J. Carver Biomedical Chair in Internal Medicine, Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Director, Pappajohn Institute, Director, Cystic Fibrosis Research Center
The advisory committee provides oversight to Center activities including the review of Pilot and Feasibility (P&F) grant applications, evaluation of P&F recipients, oversight of core facilities in in vivo metabolic phenotyping and metabolomics, and appointment of faculty scholars in diabetes research.
External Advisory Committee
This committee, not yet appointed, will provide advice to the FOEDRC, and to the Dean of the Carver College of Medicine. Selected individuals will likely be members of Diabetes Centers at other institutions. Hence, they will provide perspective as to how things work (or not) at related centers. This will also be an excellent means of providing opinion leaders with firsthand knowledge of what we are accomplishing at the FOEDRC. Members of this committee will be invited to present a seminar on their research in individual visits, and occasionally the entire committee will be invited to provide a comprehensive review of the Center.
- Evan Dale Abel, M.D., Ph.D., Director, The Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center; John B. Stokes III Chair in Diabetes Research
- Daryl K. Granner, M.D., Director Emeritus, The Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center; Professor Emeritus, Departments of Internal Medicine and Physiology, Special Consultant to the Dean
- Kathleen Y. Barbee, M.Ed., Collegiate Administrator for Institutes and Centers, UI Carver College of Medicine
- Stacie Vik, Administrative Services Specialist, UI Carver College of Medicine