Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend 2014
Thank you to those of you who attended this year's Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend. We hope you had a great time- we sure did!. For those of you who missed it, we hope to see you at the next one! Photos from the weekend are available for viewing online here.
Welcome members of the MD Classes of 1944, 1949, 1954, 1959, 1964, 1969 and 1974! We invite you to join us this year to celebrate your Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend. While you are here you will have the opportunity to visit with classmates, friends and faculty, tour our Medical Education and Research Facility, and enjoy a weekend on the beautiful campus of the University of Iowa. This page lists a few things to help you get started in making plans to attend this special reunion.
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 6, 2014
- Department of Chemistry & Biology Tours
9:00 a.m.- 10:00 a.m., Chemistry Building, 251 North Capitol St.
10:15 a.m.- 11:15 a.m., Biology Building East, 210 East Iowa Avenue
- Undergraduate science education has changed a lot over the years! Join the Departments of Chemistry and Biology in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences to tour their impressive facilities and learn about their current research and teaching. Light refreshments included at both tours.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Distinguished Alumni Awards Luncheon Ceremony
12:00 p.m.- 1:30 p.m., Levitt Center for University Advancement
- Each year, the UI Carver College of Medicine seeks to honor alumni who have transcended their fundamental roles as health care providers, scientists and educators to become influential participants in the advancement of the art and science of medicine. We hope you’ll join us in recognizing this elite group of Distinguished Alumni Award recipients at a special luncheon.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni Social
3:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m. The Airliner, Downtown Iowa City
- Join your classmates for an informal gathering at one of your favorite local places - The Airliner! Appetizers are provided and there will be a cash bar. Come reminisce with your friends.
- Please note: The Iowa Arts Festival will be happening during Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend, and thus parking downtown will be very tricky. We suggest walking from your nearby hotels or taking the provided shuttles to get to and from the Medicine Alumni Social.
- MD Class of 1964 Social
5:00 p.m.- 7:00 p.m., Dr. Anthony Colby's House, Iowa City
- Dr. Colby and Dr. Harker will be hosting a social for the MD Class of 1964 at Dr. Colby's house. Wine and cheese will be served. RSVP appreciated!
- MD Class of 1974 Social
6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m., Dr. Bruce Gantz's House, Iowa City
- Drs. Bruce Gantz, Jody Buckwalter, Tim Thomsen and Mike Welsh will be hosting a social for the MD Class of 1974 at Dr. Gantz's house. RSVP appreciated!
Saturday, June 7, 2014
- UI Carver College of Medicine Breakfast Show & Tell and Medicine at Iowa Program
8:00 a.m.- 10:00 a.m. Rooms assigned by class, Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- Share your stories with your classmates and find out what they've been up to while enjoying a hot breakfast!
- The UI Carver College of Medicine continues to rank among the nation’s best medical schools. This is a great opportunity to meet Debra Schwinn, MD, the dean of the UI Carver College of Medicine, and learn more about how Iowa is keeping its tradition of excellence going strong.
- UI Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Awards Luncheon
12:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m. 4th Floor, Levitt Center
- The UI Alumni Association also holds a Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony, presenting accomplished alumni with the association’s highest honor. This year, three of the recipients are UI Carver College of Medicine alumni as well as one faculty member.
- Campus Bus Tour
2:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. Departs from the Levitt Center
- This air-conditioned bus tour will highlight new additions to the University of Iowa Campus and reacquaint you with the area.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni Reunion Dinner
6:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. Kinnick Stadium
- Recapture the fun, the friendships, and the magic of your medical school experience while enjoying the company of your classmates. The evening will start with a reception during which each of the official group photographs will be taken for the MD honors class of 1944, '49. '54, '59, '64, '69 and '74. Then you and your classmates will adjourn for a private dinner to celebrate this special anniversary.
To reserve a room, please contact the hotel directly and identify yourself as a participant of the UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend. Room reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis. Rates per night and room release dates are listed below. Reservations must be made prior to the release date. (Rates are subject to change; tax is not included).
- Iowa House Hotel
319-335-3513, June 5-7th, 2014
$70/night- standard room, $90/night- renovated room
Release date: May 5th, 2014
Name of Block: Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Sheraton Iowa City, June 5-7th, 2014
Release date: May 7th, 2014
Reserve rooms online here.
For additional hotel accommodations, contact the Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau at 800-283-6592 or visit www.iowacitycoralville.org.
Reunion Van Service
Our free reunion van service makes your return to Iowa City stress-free. Don't worry about navigating campus or finding a parking spot—the University of Iowa Alumni Association’s Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow Ambassadors operate the van service to and from reunion events on Friday and Saturday. Call 319-335-3285 any time during the Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend for service. Van Service hours are Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Look Who's Coming
Find out who's coming from your class.
Other Items of Interest
- Memory Book Questionnaire
- For generations, the UI Carver College of Medicine has seen its graduates make tremendous contributions as clinicians, researchers, educators and humanitarians. Whether or not you are planning to attend Alumni Reunion Weekend, we invite you to tell us your story.
- Update your Address
- Please notify us of any changes in address, phone number or e-mail
- Find a Friend
- Want to reconnect with a classmate before your special reunion? Visit the alumni directory for help finding your friends.
- Reunion Class Gifts
- Support from the UI Carver College of Medicine’s alumni is critical to our missions of education, research and service. Your gifts help support our students through scholarships and financial aid, faculty development, research funds and special projects, and ensure that the next generation of health care professionals will be given the best education possible. Consider making a gift in honor of your class today!