Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend 2016
Welcome members of the MD Classes of 1946, 1951, 1956, 1961, 1966, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001 and 2006! We invite you to join us this year to celebrate your Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend. While you are here you will have the opportunity to visit with classmates, friends and faculty, tour our Medical Education and Research Facility, and enjoy a weekend on the beautiful campus of the University of Iowa. This page lists a few things to help you get started in making plans to attend this special reunion.
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 10, 2016
- 50th Reunion Class Luncheon
12:00 p.m.- 1:30 p.m., Levitt Center for University Advancement - Green Assembly Hall (4th floor)
- Members of the class of 1966 are invited to a celebratory lunch held in honor of this milestone.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony
4:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m. Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- Each year, the UI Carver College of Medicine seeks to honor alumni who have transcended their fundamental roles as health care providers, scientists and educators to become influential participants in the advancement of the art and science of medicine. We hope you’ll join us in recognizing this elite group of Distinguished Alumni Award recipients.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni & Friends Reception
5:30 p.m.- 7:00 p.m. Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- Join us in our Medical Education and Research Facility building for a reception welcoming back all of the MD reunion year classes, as well as friends and family of this year's Distinguished Alumni Awards recipients.
Saturday, June 11, 2016
- UI Carver College of Medicine Breakfast: Reflect and Reminisce
8:00 a.m.- 9:00 a.m. Rooms assigned by class, Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- Share your stories with your classmates and find out what they've been up to while enjoying a hot breakfast!
- UI Carver College of Medicine Kid's STEM Program
8:00 a.m.- 10:30 a.m., Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- While the parent's catch up and hear about what's happening at the University of Iowa since their time on campus, all school-aged children can see what it's like to be a medical student at the UI Carver College of Medicine during a morning full of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM) activities. Breakfast is provided free of charge for any children attending this program.
- Medicine at Iowa Program
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- The UI Carver College of Medicine continues to rank among the nation’s best medical schools. This is a great opportunity to learn more about how Iowa is keeping its tradition of excellence going strong with presentations by members of leadership and current medical students.
- Medical Campus Walking Tours
10:30 a.m.- 12:00 p.m., Departs from Medical Education and Research Facility
- Take walking tours of the medical campus- see what's new since your last time on campus. Visit the new Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building, the soon to be opened Children's Hospital, or reminisce about your days in medical school in the Med Labs.
- UI Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Awards Luncheon
12:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m., Hancher Auditorium
- The UI Alumni Association also holds a Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony, presenting accomplished alumni with the association’s highest honor. Registration is now closed for this event, if you would like to attend, please contact Nancy McCallister (319-335-3245, email@example.com).
- Family Picnic
12:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m., Medical Education and Research Facility (MERF)
- A family friendly picnic in the new courtyard outside of MERF. Learn more about our learning communities, play games outside under a tent in our new courtyard, or just enjoy a lunch on campus with your friends and family. Lunch is provided free of cost for children,
- Campus Bus Tour
2:30 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. Departs from the Levitt Center
- This air-conditioned bus tour will highlight new additions to the University of Iowa Campus and reacquaint you with the area.
- UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni Reunion Dinner
6:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m., Iowa Memorial Union - 2nd floor ballroom
- Recapture the fun, the friendships, and the magic of your medical school experience while enjoying the company of your classmates. The evening will start with a reception during which each of the official group photographs will be taken for the MD reunion year classes. Then you and your classmates will adjourn for a private dinner to celebrate this special anniversary.
To reserve a room, please contact the hotel directly and identify yourself as a participant of the UI Carver College of Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend. Room reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis. Rates per night and room release dates are listed below. Reservations must be made prior to the release date. (Rates are subject to change; tax is not included).
- Iowa House Hotel
(only available for evenings of June 10th and 11th)
319-335-3513 (press 0 when prompted and ask to speak with group reservations)
$90/night (includes parking & continental breakfast)
Release date: May 10, 2016
Name of Block: Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend
Book online here: Iowa House Hotel (Group code: 1606CARVER)
- Sheraton Iowa City (available for evenings of June 9, 10 & 11th)
319-337-4058 (press 0 when prompted and ask to speak to Nancy from group reservations)
Release date: April 29, 2016
Name of Block: Carver College of Medicine Reunion
Book online here:
Carver College of Medicine Reunion 2016
For additional hotel accommodations, contact the Iowa City/Coralville Convention & Visitors Bureau at 800-283-6592 or visit www.iowacitycoralville.org.
Reunion Van Service
Our free reunion van service makes your return to Iowa City stress-free. Don't worry about navigating campus or finding a parking spot—the University of Iowa Alumni Association’s Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow Ambassadors operate the van service to and from reunion events on Friday and Saturday. Call 319-335-3285 any time during the Medicine Alumni Reunion Weekend for service.
Van Service hours are Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Look Who's Coming
Select your class year below and you'll find an updated list of who plans to attend. If you would like to contact your class members to encourage reunion attendance, please let us know and we would be happy to provide you with contact information.
Other Items of Interest
- Memory Book Questionnaire
- For generations, the UI Carver College of Medicine has seen its graduates make tremendous contributions as clinicians, researchers, educators and humanitarians. Whether or not you are planning to attend Alumni Reunion Weekend, we invite you to tell us your story.
- Update your Address
- Please notify us of any changes in address, phone number or e-mail
- Find a Friend
- Want to reconnect with a classmate before your special reunion? Visit the alumni directory for help finding your friends.
- Reunion Class Gifts
- Support from the UI Carver College of Medicine’s alumni is critical to our missions of education, research and service. Your gifts help support our students through scholarships and financial aid, faculty development, research funds and special projects, and ensure that the next generation of health care professionals will be given the best education possible. Consider making a gift in honor of your class today!