Summer Undergraduate MSTP Research (SUMR) Program
The University of Iowa SUMR Program offers an intensive experience for highly motivated undergraduates interested in future combined MD/PhD training for a career as a physician-scientist. The program provides the opportunity to conduct hands-on intensive research with scientists at The University of Iowa. Participants carry out independent research conducted under the direction of an established mentor in the biomedical sciences. In addition, the program offers weekly seminars emphasizing the intersection of science and medicine, career development seminars, case-based learning sessions and physician-scientist shadowing. Participants gain an appreciation for the role of the physician-scientist in asking pertinent medically related research questions, carrying the results of the work to the patient's bedside. Eligible students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who anticipate graduating with a bachelor’s degree in the biological or physical sciences in the academic year following the summer of planned participation.
SUMR Application for 2015 now closed.
SUMR Program 2015 Features
- May 26 - July 31, 2015
- 10-week research project conducted in the laboratory of a faculty member in the biomedical sciences.
- Weekly seminar series - a forum for discussions emphasizing how science and medicine intersect
- Case-based learning exercise - discussion of mechanisms underlying disease process
- Career development seminars (e.g. MD/PhD admissions; personal and research statement writing)
- Physician - scientist shadowing experience (2-4 afternoons during the 10-week period)
- Social and mentoring activities with MD/PhD students
- $4,150 for the ten week period
- Lodging in a University housing facility
- Travel allowance for transportation to/from Iowa City
- A completed online application form
- A Curriculum Vitae (view sample CV)
- Official transcript(s) from undergraduate institution(s)
- Two letters of recommendation (At least one letter must come from your primary research mentor).
- Apply by Monday, February 2, 2015
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Will graduate from college in the 2015-2016 academic year (e.g. Spring 2016)
- Major in biological or physical science
- Prior research experience
Medical Scientist Training Program
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Phone: (800) 551-6787 or (319) 335-8303
Fax: (319) 335-6634
Info about other UI summer undergraduate research opportunities
Hiyab Yohannes, Virgina Commonwealth University
Melissa Valdes, St. Mary's University
Keyan Zarei, University of Iowa